Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reverb 10: December 8th: Beautifully Different

This post is part of Reverb 10.

December 8 – Beautifully Different.

Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.

(Author: Karen Walrond)


This is a tough subject to write about. What makes me different...from whom?

Physically speaking, I'm different in a few aspects, I suppose. I have red hair. This is "different". But I'm even different than a lot of redheads because I am capable of tanning some...my skin tone is not as pink based as most redheads. I'm not freckled all over like some redheads...just clusters here and there. I have dimples. 3 of them! That is different, too.

If I move away from the physical, it becomes harder to distinguish ways in which I'm different. Comparing myself to others is not only a waste of time, it's a mathematical impossibility. If I write that I'm different because I like to eat ketchup on my fruit loops (I do not), surely there is someone else out there (where is there?) that likes the same thing.

All I know is who I am, and that is dynamic, too.

I do have an interesting quirk. I prefer even numbers always and choose special days based on them (My wedding anniversary is 08.28.10 for instance). I don't like it when I am odd number of years. But when I turn 31, I'm declaring it Baskin Robbins year and I'm going to eat all 31 flavors. You know, do some sort of ice cream meal replacement diet. Just two scoops for breakfast, two for lunch, and a sensible dinner! ;)

What do I do that lights people up? Well...I smile a lot. I try to stay positive. I look at the bright side. I try to cheer people up. I think up creative ways to do so. But I have to be this person who does all these great things because on the flip side, when I am having my rare moment, I need the same thing from my friends and family. They always pull through and light me up!


1 comment:

  1. this is a tough subject for me too.. I think I might blogged about this.. great idea..
    love Baskin Robbins too.. hehehe..

    ReplyDelete