Saturday, December 18, 2010

Reverb 10: December 18th: Try

This post is part of Reverb 10.

December 18 – Try.

What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it?

(Author: Kaileen Elise)


I didn't have a goal in 2010. Is that sad? I say no. Just uninspired maybe. In 2011 I do want to try something. I want to join a fitness class at the YMCA and show up for it! I have never been successful in sticking to one of those classes. I'd like to try Spinning I think :) I joined a kickboxaerobics class one time...it was literally 10 years ago. I went one time, then never went back.


A few years later I wanted to get fit, so I registered for a class in college. I didn't want a failing grade or a withdrawal, so I knew I would have to go! I loved every minute of it. I went to every class, twice a week for 10 weeks, and 20 classes later, I was more fit. I was also quite proud.

After that confidence booster, I joined a class at the Y and it was cancelled due to losing its instructor. That's how I became an aerobics instructor. For 2 years I taught step aerobics for the Y and loved it. Sometimes I didn't want to go to class. Some days I was lazy, tired, sick, you name it. But I had to go, because I was the instructor.

When I quit teaching due to overuse injuries, I enjoyed being a sloth for awhile because no one expected anything of me anymore. It was a welcomed break, and my feet healed. But I also gained a bunch of weight, had a few babies, and have never reached that level of fitness again. I won't be fit overnight, but joining a Spinning class at the Y and sticking through it even if I'm sore, embarrassed, or tired, will give me a feeling of accomplishment that I haven't felt in a while. It's a good goal for 2011 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment