Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reverb 10: December 16th: Friendship

This post is part of Reverb 10.

December 16 – Friendship.

How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

(Author: Martha Mihalick)


I had an interesting conversation with a friend this year that changed my perspective on my world. It was a short conversation, a friendly, off-the-cuff, catching up as this friend and I often do.

At least, to her, that's all the conversation was.

To me, it was an epiphany. I realized at some point during the conversation that somewhere between high school and that point, I had lost perspective in making myself happy.

She told me about her hobby, her job, her boyfriend and daughter, and how her parents were. We have these conversations a half dozen times a year. When I was chatting with her, I told her about Mr. G. And then the kids. And after that, I really didn't know what else to say. Somehow I had lost sight of being in charge of my own happiness.

I got off the phone with her and immediately knew it was time to make some changes.

And I did. I jotted down some notes in my journal, and it was a catalyst for change.

Six months later, I barely recognize that girl I was slowly becoming. I'm glad, because today, in part because of that one conversation with a dear friend, I am a happier version of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment