Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reverb 10: December 1st: One Word

I am participating in Reverb 10. Will you participate with me? I am looking forward to some reflection.

December 1 - One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)

My word is CHANGE.

2010 has been a really big year for me and my family. During the winter, I was experiencing a lot of change physically, mentally and emotionally. After having a complete surgical hysterectomy on Dec 29, 2009, I was recovering slowly at home during the first few months of 2010. There were so many changes to deal with, but over time they all leveled out and I am relieved to have it behind me. I am taking hormone replacement therapy, I am physically feeling fine and feel just like my normal old self, just with a closed baby factory! ;)

During the Spring, I experienced a lot of changes with the way I view my world. I relied heavily on my family and friends. I worked hard at personal growth. I began to feel the need for change...I began to feel ambitious, like I was ready for a career change. I started updating my resume. I changed the way my family ran our day...streamlined our schedules and worked hard to fall into a groove.

During the Summer, I worked my tail off! My graphic design business was hopping and I designed sometimes for 15 hours a day. I can't say it was a change from normal, but it was a change in the makeup of my day. In addition to work, work, work...I planned, planned, planned! James and I got engaged, and married. Change much?

During the Fall, I moved to Lexington and enjoyed life with my new husband. I started a new job. More changed. :) James and I really didn't live together before being married, so that was a big change for us. A good one! And our new apartment was a welcomed change as well. After much deliberation, I decided to rejoin the rat race. I had been working from home for 5 years and enjoyed it very much but was ready for a change. The change was great. I accepted a job with HP and have been enjoying my job very much.

However, I found out shortly after accepting the job that most of the location was facing an unexpected layoff. Myself included...and soon. I'll only have this job for a few more months. It was a shock, but it has been a learning experience too. HP has handled themselves very gracefully throughout the ordeal. It wasn't in HP's control...the result of a broken contract removing business that had been at the location for over 5 years. I harbor no ill will towards the company--it's business. I get that. They are offering a respectable severance package that helps ease the burden of the impending layoff, and I'm making the most of the job while I still have it. But it's a bit crazy that admidst all the change, more is coming.

What do I think my 2011 word will be?

Balance.

At least that is my goal. In the middle of all the crazy changes that 2010 brought me, I lost balance many times. I spent the last 6 months of 2010 without my hobbies. Sometimes I look at my clean house and wonder when cleaning became my hobby. Well duh...it's not...yet sometimes by the time I'm done getting the house cleaned, I don't have the energy to scrap or read or just veg out. Which is a problem...because all work and no play makes Lena a dull girl. I really should be mindful...too much of anything isn't good...so here's to some balance in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment