Friday, December 17, 2010

Reverb 10: December 17th: Lesson Learned

This post is part of Reverb 10.

December 17 – Lesson Learned.

What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?

(Author: Tara Weaver)


I learned this year that I am capable of more self-control that I ever imagined. This year I learned how to better control my natural tendencies to control...ummmmm....everything! Ok, so let's call a duck a duck. I am a teensy bit of a control freak. I like the house cleaned just so. I like the dishes put away like this. I like my food not touching, I like to do things in certain orders. I like people to treat me the way I expect to be treated. I want everyone to see the same logic I do. I want people to agree with me. I want to hold myself, and everyone around me, to a high standard.


This year I have let loose that grasp. Not 100%. This will be a lifelong journey for me, because it goes against my innate grain. But I made small changes; baby steps. When I wanted to nose around in someone's business, I didn't. When I wanted to throw a fit over the littlest thing, I didn't.

I found some self-control in diet and exercise. I managed to eat healthy some of the time, instead of always or never. I managed to work out semi-regularly instead of every day or never.

This balance and self-control has been the hardest change for me, but also the most self-rewarding! I have reigned in my chocolate consumption. I have reigned in my extraneous spending. I have reigned in my need to have a perfectly clean house.

I still eat chocolate, I still splurge on boots and lip gloss, and I still have a pretty clean house. But letting go some hasn't hurt a thing. Only made me happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment